Welding Rocker Panels

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Welding Rocker Panels
From: "Richard H. Cady" <cadyxrh@ctxix.sod.eds.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 97 15:10:36 PST
Drew wrote:

Now onto my next problem....Rust repair...specifically floor pans and
rockers....I am torn as to what kind of welder to use...any sugesstions?  I
am leaning to Oxy/actelyne..but MIG is easier to use....anyone done a rocker
panel repair here and have some advise?

Drew,

I have found that MIG welding rocker panels in place is easier and produces
a better result.

The top of the upper flange of the panel can be easily welded to the
existing metal that is in place and then ground smooth.
I drilled holes in the lower flange of the rocker panel and welded up these
holes - thereby simulating a spot weld to the inner sill.  A fair amount of
heat is necessary here to get penetration to the inner sill.  The mound of
weld metal can then be ground flush.

I hope this helps.

Rich

1970 MGB Roadster