Re: Finish questions

To: sperling@hooked.net
Subject: Re: Finish questions
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 07:41:13 -0600
sperling@hooked.net wrote:

> I hate to ask...since threads of bead blasting have been going on
> for quite a while...BUT WHAT EXACTLY IS BEAD BLASTING?  Is this
> something that only those that feel comfortable pulling their engines
> out at a drop of a hat should do, or can/should the Sunday (or in my
> case, every 4th Sunday) mechanic like me try to tackle.

Frank,

I see someone has already answered the bead blasting question, but I'll
add my $.02 I'm not an expert by any means, but here's what I learned:

There are various media that you can use to remove to remove paint and
rust. They run the gamut from mild to agressive in their removal
behavoir:

Walnut/pecan/corn cob shells: Good for delicate parts, antique/brittle
parts and parts where absolutely no metal removal can be tolerated. No
experience with it. Anyone?

Glass Bead: literally glass beads, look like granular sugar (I'm sure it
taste nothing like sugar though :)  ). Good for general cleaning/mild
rust removal. Leaves parts with a smooth matte finish, similar to 1200
grit sandpaper. I've been using it to clean external engine components,
carbs, trans xmembers, etc.. Available in various grit sizes. I think
I'm using 120. ~$30 for 50lbs.

Plastic Media: fairly agressive, used for removing paint with no or very
little surface rust. No experience with it, talked to a professional
media blaster about it at a car show and looks to be the way to strip
paint quickly without damaging sheetmetal. Only seen it for sale from
Eastwood, I think they wanted $99 for 50lbs.

Aluminum Oxide: Agressive media, this will strip heavy rust at the
expense of a more grainier finish. As it breaks down in use, still stays
sharp. I used it in a Spot Blaster (see below) to remove surface rust
from my station wagon when I repainted it. Available in various grit. I
was using 80. I have some 120 grit that I'm going to try on the engine
compartment, but I have no idea how agressive it will be. ~$25 for 50lbs

I know there are other types of media, but I havent looked into them so
I don't know much about them.

You can media blast without a cabinet (you have to, if your doing the
car), but it's messy and potentially a health hazard. I started out with
a Spot Blaster (available from McMaster Carr and others, around $30).
This is essentially handheld gravity fed blaster that has a 1 lb.
hopper. I used it to blast the surface rust on the hood and doors of my
wagon, but also used it to do my SU's. Be sure to wear a hood (I bought
a cheapie canvas one for around $15),  a quality dust filter, long
sleeve shirt/pants and gloves. This stuff stings, also it gets
EVERYWHERE. I blasted in the backyard and found the stuff on the patio
30' away.

Hope this answers your question.

                                Jeff