injury, MKII

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: injury, MKII
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 09:29:10 -0500 (EST)
Fellow fiends:

Another unhappy trend I noticed myself: in my old home area of metro
Deeeetroit in the time I was there 2 respected long standing lbc
mechanics closed up shop.  They sold their parts collections and closed
the door.  Business just wasn't good enough.  There are few left.  This
may not be the case in other people's experiences, but that must present
a daunting prospect to the neophyte as well.  I didn't know a spanner
from a socket when I started, and I relied (desperately, almost) on my
local friendly lbc mechanic.  Bless his heart, he did good work, didn't
charge an arm and a leg, and permitted me to drill him with questions
which ultimately took my business away (I did it myself).

The neophyte either has to be a fool (like Me), or already very
knowledgeable in the mechanics and/or cosmetics of the lbc, to jump in.

Related to this is the difficulty in finding a body shop to do
restoration work.  I am unable to do body work.  Yet, I want to do a
restoration on a car.  Am I just out of luck?  My point is, you up the
ante for admission to the lbc brotherhood by the loss of talented
for-profit busnesses like mechanics and restoration shops.  What is the
trend in these cases?

Okay, now maybe I should get to work  ???

WZ