Re: What year is the car?

To: MGS <MGS@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: What year is the car?
From: nolan penney <npenney@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 19:25:47 -0500
I'm an air quality engineer for the state of Maryland.  That's not to
brag, but to let you know I'm one of those government weenies you'd be
speaking to if you were to call and ask this question of your ever
helpfull and friendly government.  I don't know all the laws, none of
you own state specific regulations, and have been known to be wrong a
time or two.  But I do know a fair bit of the official speak of this
stuff.

> I want to build (convert) a roadster to a V8.  The roadster is a chrome
> bumper pre 1975 (pre catylytic converter) car.  I do the conversion I get
> the car inspected, no problem, no emisiions test required (at least here in
> MASSACHUSETTS) because it is a pre 1975 car, or is it?  The engine was built
> in 1976, is it still a pre 1975 car?

No, it's technically a 1976 as per EPA standards.  Whatever is later is
what the emission standards are that it must meet.  Which also means
technically you must convert everything else emission wise in the car to
1976 standards.

Also, just because the car is 1975 is no guarantee you don't have to
emission test.  You may not, right now, but quite possibly will in the
future.

But... if you keep quiet about the engine change, they may not notice it
if you ever do an inspection.  Remember, the trained monkeys used to do
emission tests are not there because of their high intelectual skills or
proficiencies.  If you don't call it to their attention, and there are
no strange things to clue them in (like too many carburetors) they
probably will never notice.  Even if there are too many carbs, you've
still got a fair chance of getting through if you pass the tailpipe test
and can baffle 'em with bull. Remember, this is a british car, and
americans are generally willing to  believe whatever wild story you want
to tell about how "those brits" built dem dare cars.

> Second situation.  I still want to convert a roadster, this time it is a
> post 1975 rubber bumper model.  The engine I am using is a 1973 model year
> engine, never had a catylitic converter on it.  Is the car subject to
> emissions test?

The engine becomes a 75 in this case, because the car is the later
piece.  If cars are subject to inspections in your state, then this one
is going through it as well.  All the above applies with regards to
equipment and the smoke and mirrors games you can play.

> Third situation, I purchase a body shell in 1997 and build me an MG using
> new parts and parts from the hulk I have sitting in the garage.  The engine
> is an 18V that came from a 1974 MGB, what year is the car? is it subject to
> emisiions tests?

A much more difficult situation.  Generally, the frame and then the body
are the determining factors of year.  The engine only comes into play
for the EPA.  So how you want to play the title will dictate the
results. Do you have a title to either the frame or body?  Go with that
if you can, the older one the better.

If you are going to declare it a new MG, you've got problems.  For the
car in no way shape or form will meet 1997 standards, DOT or EPA.  But
all is not lost, for if you build the car completely as per whatever
year MG, and can prove it to be identical to whatever year, you stand a
chance at having the new car declared a 19__ MG, and not a 1997 MG.
That's a tough, long and often expensive row to hoe though.

The best shot is using an older title.  If you've lost them, do a title
search on them.  That's not that tough usually.  Worse case would be
getting yet another frame and swapping ID tags or complete frames.
Beware the tag swapping, it's illegal...if you are sloppy and get
caught.

> In all situations lets assume you want to do everything above board and
> legal.  Are my questions as far out in the universe as they seem now that I
> have written them down or are they valid?

Not at all.  Give me a call at work (410) 631-3219 and I'll give you the
information I've got there, and help steer you to some good federal EPA
folk that live and breath this stuff.  The good news with them is that
they all own kit cars.  Helps a lot.

Oh, and perservere with the beaurocrasy.  If at first you don't get an
answer you like, find someone else and ask them the same question.  Keep
detailed records of those conversations!