What year is the car?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: What year is the car?
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 12:30:49 -0500 (EST)
Ok this question may show off my ignorance and stupidity or maybe it will
create a good topic of conversation so here goes:

I want to build (convert) a roadster to a V8.  The roadster is a chrome
bumper pre 1975 (pre catylytic converter) car.  I do the conversion I get
the car inspected, no problem, no emisiions test required (at least here in
MASSACHUSETTS) because it is a pre 1975 car, or is it?  The engine was built
in 1976, is it still a pre 1975 car?
Second situation.  I still want to convert a roadster, this time it is a
post 1975 rubber bumper model.  The engine I am using is a 1973 model year
engine, never had a catylitic converter on it.  Is the car subject to
emissions test?
Third situation, I purchase a body shell in 1997 and build me an MG using
new parts and parts from the hulk I have sitting in the garage.  The engine
is an 18V that came from a 1974 MGB, what year is the car? is it subject to
emisiions tests?
In all situations lets assume you want to do everything above board and
legal.  Are my questions as far out in the universe as they seem now that I
have written them down or are they valid?

PS  I realy would like to do a V8 conversion some day, but not until I
finish the 74

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.