Re: Electric heaters

To: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Subject: Re: Electric heaters
From: Geoff Love <engconn@infi.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 18:00:37 -0500
Leckstein wrote:

> My TF has a cigarette lighter (hidden to connect the cell phone adapter)
> but its positive ground. Since the polarity is reversed,  will the heater
> work as an air conditioner.?
>
> Since the Smiths heater in the car blows the cold air around in the winter,
> and hot air in the summer, maybe I need this electric heater / air
> conditioner, or does everyone advise warm clothing.
> ....SNIP....
>
> Mike

Mike:  I do not think that you are correct in thinking that if the
polarity has been reversed, the heater will work as an air conditioning
unit.  After some considerable pondering of this connundrum, I feel
confident in stating that the heater's fan will work in the reverse
direction, thereby sucking OUT of the cockpit all the hot air which is
being generated at the time. Considering the amount of hot air which is
probably available in the cockpit, particularly if the two occupants
happen to be fisherpersons, sports fans of any particular persuasion, or
TV commentators discussing the Simpson cases, (as well as MG
enthusiasts, of course), this will impose an extremely heavy load on
the  battery, and I now refer you to the threads concerning electric
heaters etc., recently running on this channel.

Geoff Love, The English Connection.