Re: Unexpected Help From Out of Nowhere #2

To: homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's Sydney Homestay)
Subject: Re: Unexpected Help From Out of Nowhere #2
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 10:19:41 -0500
At 07:58 AM 2/3/97 +1100, Syl's Sydney Homestay wrote:
>Mike you wrote in connection with breaking a TC axle:
>
>>....including opening the pumpkin to get the broken piece out, in two hours.
>
>I have sometimes wondered about getting the broken piece out of the diff.
>How would you reckon about removing the second half shaft and shoving a
>broom handle right through?
>
>Paul

Paul, I am not a good mechanic, but this subject comes up now and then. As
I understand it, you can't get around the gear(spider?) in the diff. from
the other side. The solutions attested to  range from putting crazy glue on
the broken shaft to using the extension to the original jack to punch it
out through the other side pass the diff gear.

Variations on these themes include a contraption made by Rick Smith of the
NEMG T register that involves a shaft and drill bit, then the use of a stud
extractor on the shaft to grab it and pull. He swears by this, and claims
to have used it dozens of times. Then there are those who remove the pin
from the bonnet hinge and enter from the good side, slip pass the diff.
gears and hammer it out.

When we opened the pumpkin to get the stub out of mine, it was so
mushroomed at the end, that we had to slam it with a heavy hammer to get it
loose, and this is with the rear opened up. I can't imagine any of the
former methods being able to apply that kind of force.

Mike