Re: TD Cluster Panel and Lacquer Questions

To: "Robert J. Donahue" <rdonahue@holli.com>
Subject: Re: TD Cluster Panel and Lacquer Questions
From: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 21:12:11 -0800
Robert J. Donahue wrote:

> The cluster panel on my TD is all chome without a trace of paint. I've heard
> that they are supposed to be painted. Did MG produce any without paint? I
> can't believe the PO went to the trouble of stripping it. BTW, I think it
> looks rather nice like it is, anybody else running a bare cluster panel on
> their dash?

Bob, what you've got is the result of a chrome shop that was lazy or
didn't want to follow directions. Originally, the rim was polished
before plating and the inner surface was left "as rolled" (sort of matte
rough). This left a frosted surface after plating which would hold paint
and was painted the same color as the steering wheel hub. It's easier
for a chrome shop to just buff out the whole damn thing and not
differentiate the two sections. You then get a plate which won't hold
paint, but if left shiny will reflect the sun (if it is behind you) into
your eyes in the afternoon and really make you cuss! Been there, done
that, didn't like it, took some 600 grit wet-or-dry and roughed it and
painted it.  (The same caveat goes for the gas tank end plates, they
present the same problem with paint adhesion)   Jarl