Re: Sobering

To: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com (Thomas J Pokrefke)
Subject: Re: Sobering
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 07:14:00 -0500
At 12:07 PM 2/5/97 EST, you wrote:
>I  hate to admit this, but I have conceded defeat in any substantial
>wreck with my MGB.  I know that if I wreck, I will more than likely die.
>It is actually a fairly easy conclusion to come to:  if the impact is
>head-to-head, I'll end up with a chest full of steering wheel.  If I
>roll-over, the car will probably decapitate me.  If I get  rear-ended,
>there is a chance the offending vehicle will climb up the trunk and enter
>the passenger compartment.

Ok, I survived an MGB crash. Barbara would be better at telling the story,
but I was traveling at about 45 mph in a 79 roadster. A young person
attempting to make a left turn from the opposite direction, just turned in
front of me and I went into her car hard. I had a belt on but did strike
the windshield lightly.

The car as is  its design, collapsed in front saving the passenger
compartment (and Me) from serious injury. I was bleeding quite a bit from
the forehead, and the first aid unit wanted to take me to the hospital.
However, being the intelligent person I am, I insisted in staying with my
MG, which certainly was going to the hospital on a flat bed. I wasn't
leaving my car. My wife arrived and couldn't believe my decision.

Well I stayed, the car was brought to my body shop. The wound healed, but
the car was totaled. In retrospect, the impact which was severe, proved
that an MG isn't the worst thing in an accident. I have seen allot worse
with "modern cars"

Note, I do drive when necessary on interstates, and drove to Indy in my 54
TF.all on interstates. Now there is a car that was designed by Nader.
Especially the rear impact zone of a spare tire and gas tank!  In practice,
all the MGs and the earlier models in particular, are driveable anywhere,
but by the nature of the cars, your attention and involvement with the
driving is greater. Isn't that what it is all  about? In T types without
radios and insulated quarters, you are so much more aware of everything
going on, you become a more attentive driver. You hear, see and smell that
18 wheeler comming up on you, and pull as far to the right as possible.

This thread should encourage safety and caution, but not fear. The cars are
safe because the drivers are safe. Defensive driving must be mastered and
practice full time. When this is second nature, the fun of driving our cars
is not lost.

Mike Leckstein