Re: Sobering

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sobering
From: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com (Thomas J Pokrefke)
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 12:07:12 EST
I  hate to admit this, but I have conceded defeat in any substantial
wreck with my MGB.  I know that if I wreck, I will more than likely die.
It is actually a fairly easy conclusion to come to:  if the impact is
head-to-head, I'll end up with a chest full of steering wheel.  If I
roll-over, the car will probably decapitate me.  If I get  rear-ended,
there is a chance the offending vehicle will climb up the trunk and enter
the passenger compartment.

  I inspected the wreck of a Midget last year.  Granted, the kid had no
seat belt on, but his chance of survival, IMHO, was nil.  The driver's
side door was touching the shift lever.

  I know this sounds gloomy, and I apologize.  My solution is to accept
my fate and drive safely.  People die in cars everyday.  When it is my
time, no amount of airbags or safety cages can save me.

FWIW - a wise MGB guru told me that most people who die in MGB wrecks are
thrown from the car.  Properly install seat belts.  And use them.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB
thomas_pokrefke@juno.com
http://ocean.st.usm.edu/~pokrefke