Re: Sobering

To: bleckstein@monmouth.com, thomas_pokrefke@juno.com
Subject: Re: Sobering
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 20:00:35 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-02-05 18:42:19 EST, bleckstein@monmouth.com (Leckstein)
writes:

<< Ok, I survived an MGB crash. Barbara would be better at telling the story,
 but I was traveling at about 45 mph in a 79 roadster. >>

Mike wrote this and has heard my story before but for the newer members on
the list, its time again to urge you all to put lap and shoulder belts in
your MG's of what ever vintage...

I survived a crash in my TA, a similar one to Mike's.  A young person,
probably non citizen, uninsured and unlicensed, made a left turn right in
front of me on Hwy 29 just north of Napa, Ca.  It was about 3 pm on a
beautiful sunny day.  There were many witnesses.  I hit this jerk in a 4door
Chevy just behind his left front door at about 50 mph with my left front tire
(those 19 inch wires are good for absorbing shock) ...just smashed in the
front left side of the TA bent the front axle like a pretzel.  I had on a lap
belt which pivoted me right into the stearing wheel and broke my chest bone,
bloodied my nose on the racing windscreen and generally made a mess of
things....but didn't break the three bottles of wine I had just bought.  If
any one is interested, I can send yu a scan of the wreck with me on a
strecher....yes a freelance photog showed and filmed the aftermath......$22k
later, thank you State Farm, the TA was back to the way it was when I put
3500 miles on it driving up to Calgary for the GoF.   In the prewar days, the
general philosophy was that it was safer to be thrown clear and many survived
this way.....in my case, I would have much worse off being thrown from the
car and if I had had a shoulder belt on, I don't think I would have been
injured at all.......I now have shoulder belts in my old cars and I ALWAYS
wear them.  I suggest you do the same!!!

Terry