Re: MGB Autocross Questions

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: MGB Autocross Questions
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 00:44:23 EST
On Sun, 9 Feb 1997 21:31:46 -0500 (EST) "W. R. Gibbons"
<gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu> writes:

>What is the reason for ruling out shoulder harnesses in open cars
without roll bars -- that the driver has to be free to duck?

Good guess.  And I reckon that your guess is as good as anyone else's,
since the rule book does not give any official reason.  A favorite theory
of mine is that it may be the intention that the driver should feel
threatened and insecure by his vulnerability and so drive in a more
subdued manor.  Or it may be just another inducement to get you to
install a roll bar, since it is highly recommended in the rule book at
every opportunity.  Whatever the reason, I personally do not agree with
this rule.

The whole point of this sport is to push the car to the very limits of
the envelope in order to win.  If you are thrashing around the cockpit
and having trouble hanging on to the steering wheel, it can't be good for
safety.  In the interest of safety, almost any other safety equipment is
allowed in all classes, including Stock class.  You can install a full
roll cage and on-board fire extinguisher system, but not shoulder harness
without a roll bar?  (Actually, I would have installed a roll bar in my
MGA long ago, except for the nasty problem of that steel tonneau directly
behind the seats.)

The rules dictate that the course design should limit speed and driving
conditions to be similar to those encountered on the public roadways.  A
70 mph maximum speed for the fastest cars is noted in the rules (with a
few exceptions).  The result is a stringent test of the car's handling
abilities and the driver's skill, generally not a horsepower race.

It is my opinion that the driving skills developed in this type of event
make for much safer drivers on the public roadways.  After some autocross
driving you start to watch further ahead on the roadway, anticipate
things more in advance, and develop the ability to make a quick lane
change without loosing control of your car, thereby being less likely to
be involved in an accident.  I now have more confidence driving in
traffic, and I feel safer riding with someone who has some autocross
experience.  Both of my daughters have autocross experience, just can't
get my wife to go for it.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude

P.S.

I don't believe that the Department of Transportation would have any
objection to me using a full racing safety harness while driving on
public roads.  But, some other drivers sharing the roadway may be
distracted by my safety helmet.