Re:Pulling my hair out!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:Pulling my hair out!
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 15:11:05 -0700

>Ok, here is how it all started.  I pulled the distributor out of my car
>about a month ago to replace the cap, points, etc.  I ended up replacing
>all of the following, points, cap, condensor, terminal, plugs, plug wires,
>and the coil.  When I reasembled everything the car started, and I drove
>it around the block, it ran very poorly (lots of hesitating) but it ran.
>The next day I went to start it again, and it failed to fire.  And it has
>not run since.  Does anyone have a clue as to what's wrong?  I tried to
>time the car, but the timing marks are gone, and besides the car won't
>start.  (some people said screwed up timing will not cause the car to not
>start).  I thought for the longest time that the points were shorting, and
>I am now not sure.  With a test light connected to the terminal, the light
>will light only when the points are seperated.  Is this correct?  Or
>should it always light?

Condensor? I screwed up my first MGB tuneups because:
1. A fellow LBC owner told me condensors never go bad. I then went through
several defective condensors.
2. Condensor shorting out on post. Be sure the insulating grommet is
installed correctly on the points - the condensor wire must not contact the
post or the 5/16"
nut. The plastic plug allows the wires to contact the one section of the
points (don't know the proper terminology) without grounding to that post.
If the nut is not tightened or the wire grounds to the post, and you could
have the problem you described.

So consider my suggestions. I know better now, but those were my first mistakes.

David Councill
71 BGT
and digest mode (always a bit behind)