Re: Seatbelt Re-webing -Reply

To: Wayne Buletza <rwbmg@voyager.net>
Subject: Re: Seatbelt Re-webing -Reply
From: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 18:33:18 -0800
Wayne Buletza wrote:

> Nick Benson wrote:
> >
> > Dave,
> > My comment is relative to the safety of the seatbelts. I would
> > NEVER just replace the webbing, because it may compromise the
> > operation of the seat belts.
> > I presume that the belts and hardware are at least 23 years old
> > now.  I'm a safety nut, and use my seatbelt every time, and I would
> > rather feel better knowing that my seatbelt is gonna hold when I
> > need it.
> > Incidentally, I do have an address of a company in England where
> > I ordered two new seat belts for my Midget if you want to try that
> > route.
> >
> > Nick D. Benson
> > Department of Construction Management and Manufacturing
> > Technology,
> > Colorado State University,
> > Fort Collins, CO

> > BERNZO@aol.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Lurk mode off...
> > >
> > > Fellow MG'ophiles,
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the the re-webing
> > of the original
> > > Kangol (?) retractable seatbelts? I want to find somebody that
> > can replace
> > > the belt material so that I can reuse the original hardware which
> > is in
> > > really good shape.
> > >
> > > If I can get this done, I can get my BGT registered next month.
> > Come on guys,
> > > I know somebody can help me.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Dave Bernier
> > > '74 BGT
> >
> > Dave, when I did my  '68 several years ago, I had a local car
> > upolstry
> > shop put new webbing on the old hardware.  Their stock webbing
> > matched
> > the original.  I think they charged maybe $20.  I also found that
> > they
> > had stock carpeting that was of better quality than delux Moss set
> > at
> > about the same price including installation!
> >
> > Wayne Buletza
> > Charlotte MI
>
> I guess I would just add that the early model seat belts are rather
> basic.  They are either broken or working.  Mine have worked admirably
> for nearly 29 years.  The re=webbing simply freshen the appearance.  I
> too, use my belts all the time.
>
> Wayne B

On top of that, it is well documented that the nylon used for the
webbing degrades with time due to UV and chemical exposures. It starts
at a minimum required 5000 lb test, and after about 5 years it is lucky
to test at 2000 lbs! That's why you see dates on military surplus
aircraft belts. On the pre-inertia belts there's virtually nothing else
to go bad, and since the days of 10.00 replacement lap belts are looong
gone, replacement is really quite logical. Post 1968s are another story:
even on a 3 year old car, the inertia reel is often already shot, which
makes the whole belt/harness arrangement positively lethal.  Jarl