Re: Let me rephrase that, please

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Let me rephrase that, please
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 17:09:47 -0800
Philip:
        I would recomend that you go with a flat bed trailer.  It is
very difficult to anchor a car inside a U-haul trailer or truck
effectively.  It's amazing how slick the surfaces are in those things.
I speak from experience.  i decided that the way to move my Landrover
cross country was in the back of the Ryder truck that was towing my race
car.  I drove the truck down my rather steep driveway and got the Rover
inside with the help of some heavy planks.  I then backed the truck out,
turned around and backed the truck slowly down the drive so I could load
my household effects.  When I came to a stop there was a slight wooshing
sound and a light bump.  Shaking my head I walked to the back of the
truck and tried to open the door.  Strange, it seemed to be jammed.  So
thoughtfully I drove back up the drive and hit the brakes, the same
noise followed by a little louder thump.  Now the door opened easily and
there was my happy Rover sitting obediently just where I had left her.
       Needless to say there was much tying down with heavy ropes after
that.  The only tie downs were the wooder side rails which will not take
much load.  Get me drunk one day and I will explain how you get a Rover
back out of a truck when you don't have the heavy planks anymore.  I'll
give you a hint, you have to turn the trailer backwards and void any
warranty the manufacturer made.

        Seriously.  Protect the front of the car with padding.  Use the
ramp type trailer, and don't worry about motel parking lots.  The kids
are too busy stealing stereos to worry about TC knock offs.
        This after trailer towing my 65 B race car all over the place.
And leaving an SCCA MGB car on a damaged trailer on the side of the road
in the middle of New Mexico overnight while I got the hubs repaired.

Kelvin.