Let me rephrase that, please

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Let me rephrase that, please
From: pwmay@shore.intercom.net (Philip W. May)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:43:15 -0500
Dear MG Listers: I've gotten many thoughtful and helpful responses to my
second query that I sent earlier today. I've answered all personally.
Several listers seem to think this subject has been covered (trailering) in
list this week, so I wasn't privy to those. Other respondents seem to say
that I should rephrase my question and try again. I'll attempt to be brief,
which is hard for me.

I'm buying a nice '49 TC this summer. Car has been held for me by a
friend's widow for a number of years waiting for me to get the $ together.
I checked renting an OPEN U-Haul car transporter. I'll be towing behind a
Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. full time 4wd and a 318 CID V8 with Type III
hitch. Trailer is about $550 one way. No problem with towing, simple and
straight forward- maybe. But, car is nice and will be in open for a few
days subject to weather, stones thrown up by Jeep, etc. Also open to
thieves at night when I'm sleeping in motel and can't have car with trailer
right at door. Too easy to remove knockoffs, etc.

I thought about the 6x12 U-Haul enclosed trailer. Went to see one at local
dealer. Trailer not made to carry car. Dimensions INSIDE trailer are these:
6' wide, 11'-8-1/2" long. Door width 5'.
Smooth aluminum floor. Weight capacity for enclosed is 2000 lbs. It has
brakes. TC supposed to be 11'-7-1/2" long, 4'-8" wide, weight 1750 lbs. It
would fit- just. I'd have to cut a couple of inches off tailpipe and remove
nerf bar bumpers that are on this car. Door should close.

Trailer says to have 60% of weight up front. With TC in nose first engine
should take care of that. Benefits: Trailer is $219 one way- half the cost
of open transporter. Car is enclosed, out of weather and out of sight of
thieves.

I've checked a couple of commercial folks and they want about $1500 to do it.

So what's the problem? IF I do this with enclosed trailer, need to figure
out some way to keep car rigid and in place inside trailer.HOW? And need to
know if anyone has done this. Need opinion on whether this is a brilliant
idea or a really dumb one.

I've trailered, flat-towed and driven old cars for 40 years. Have had four
TCs, two 1934 PAs, two Morgans, a Healey BN2 and an AC Ace. Through all
that, never thought of doing anything like this. Don't want to hurt car but
do want to get it 3000 miles at least cost. Any ideas or experience doing
such a thing? Thanks for your help. Phil May