Re: Regarding Weber Fuel Economy

To: milkm@mail.vt.edu
Subject: Re: Regarding Weber Fuel Economy
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 22:32:20 -0800
milkm@mail.vt.edu wrote:

> Craig:
>
>     I've had very similar problems as you with my Weber 32/36
> DGV---poor fuel economy and lack of get-up-and-go.  Why---I have no
> idea--I've spent countless hours of tuning and talking to Weber
> owners and have had no success.  Right now I'm getting ready to put
> my SU HIF4's back on as well.
>
> On  Sat, 08 Mar you wrote:
>
> > I have recently refitted my old HIF4's to my MGB in place of my Weber 32/36
> > DGV. My car now seems to have that "get-up-and -go" that somehow the Weber
> > was supposed to offer. I assume that the SU's just breathe better than the
> > Weber. The Weber did offer "maintenence free" use, but my gas mileage
> > really wasn't any better, and neither was the car's performance. Can anyone
> > explain this?
> >

> Matt Milkevitch
> 74 BGT
> Matthew Milkevitch
> Graduate Student, Dept of Chemistry
> Va. Tech
> Blacksburg, VA  24061
> (540) 231-4708

Matt,

I know I'm gonna catch some flak for this answer, most probably from
Pokrefke, but I actually have one of those things that I messed about
with for a while (a Weber DGV).  Highly recommend you contact Bob at
Brit-Tek and get a set of the correct jets, air emulsion tubes, etc., for
your car.  I took this thing off an MGB, but almost nothing was correct
inside.  The accelerator pump diaphragm also needed replacing and I am
still suspicious about the thing called a "power valve assembly".  It has
a diaphragm in it also.  Never did quite figure out how that thing worked
or what it was supposed to compensate for.  (That's what is often
confusing about a fixed venturi carb - it needs so many widgets and
frammuses to compensate for different throttle openings and engine load.)

I mucked about with the thing only to satisfy my curiosity and am a firm
believer in using SUs (or did you all figure that out.....)

Bill Schooler