Re: MGA questions

To: FunE4MG@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGA questions
From: Sally Schlining <schlining.m.w@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:43:07 -0600
FunE4MG@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Listers.
> (sounds like a good name for a character in a british TV space/comedy doesn't
> it? )
> }8>)  Does anyone have a good pictures of an MGA mounted on those neat center
> lock Mini Lite replica rims?  I'd like to see what they look like on an A.
>
> Next question, My floorboard rails are pretty rotten(another British
> Character) and I was wondering if it would be a big crime to re-weld angle
> iron in and then mount a honeycomb aluminum (aluminium?) floor plate in place
> of the wood.  Seems to me that you could easily put a captivated nut in this
> unit, have a secure point of mounting the seat rails and never rot out the
> floor again.  any/all inputs will be appreciated, flaming responses will be
> relegated to the bin.
> Cheers,
> Tom
> "smoke me a kipper"

Hey Tom

I don't think that Aluminum and steel get along well.  The aluminum
tends to disappear where it contacts steel.  A 4' X 8' sheet of 1/2"
marine plywood is about $50.  I used 1/2" but I believe that 3/8" was
standard on the car when it was new.  Go with the wood.

Welding new angles to the frame is the right way to go.  But buy them
from Clark Spares and Restoration.  They will be made exactly as the
originals and they will be the best cost wise too.  Good Luck

Marty Schlining (yes this is my wife's e-mail address)
57 MGA Coupe
75 MGB
65 Corvair Corsa Convertible (her car)