Re: MGA questions

To: FunE4MG@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGA questions
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 19:05:05 EST
If you are interested, "real" replacement floorboard rails, with
captivated nuts included, are available, as opposed to angle iron,  from
Clarke Spares and Restorations.  I don't have Todd Clarke's info handy,
but if you express an interest via e-mail back, I will send it to you.
I'm not sure what the floor plate is you are proposing, but I think Todd
can also provide you with templates for cutting them out, assuming your
wood ones are too far gone to use as a template.

Be careful what materials you use for the floor plate and the fastners,
some combinations can set up an electrical reaction that will actually
cause rust faster than the wood floorboards.  I can't elaborate anymore
than that because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about! ;-)
Maybe someone else on the list can elaborate, all I know is that when
using some dissimilar metals a dielectric situation (whatever that is)
can cause corrosion.

As to why you would want to do this-- go for it!  Especially if it is
more durable and lightweight.  However, I suggest you do the rails
"right" by using Todd's replacements as opposed to angle iron, not to
mention the fact that it will likely be an easier installation, since you
won't have to cut or drill tough ol' angle iron.  Also, should you or
anyone else wish to go back to the original wood, it would be a bolt-in
exchange.  Most people faced with this problem just opt for marine
plywood well coated with a water proof sealant.  Just keep in mind that
the latest Corvette has *wood* floors (albeit balsa wood sandwiched
between aluminum sheets)!

David Littlefield
Houston, TX