Re: Electric Fuel Pumps

To: "David F. Darby" <dfdarby@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Electric Fuel Pumps
From: Gary Burrell <garyb@pentek.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 12:27:28 -0500
David F. Darby wrote:

> Now, my questions: in the event of pump failure, would another pump
> mounted inline, either pushing or pulling, move fuel through the
> disabled pump and thus keep the fuel system operative? Would the
> non-functioning pump's diaphragm effectively act as a check valve and
> not allow fuel through? Has anyone tried this?

I did this once when I had what I thought was a fuel pump failure
some miles form home.  In my case when I when back to pick up the
car a few days later I wired the replacement pump under the hood
next to the carbs with the orignal SU still in place.  This pump
was not an SU but an aftermarket brand that came with banjo to
fuel line converters so you could install either the banjo fittings,
or put the converters in and connect the fuel lines directly. A little
duct tape and some wires run to the fuse block and I was on my
way back home.  There I was able to change the pump more easily.
The problem turned out to be a bad ground, so now I have a spare
pump in the trunk (A sure way to ensure I will never have another
problem with the fuel pump.)

Gary
--
Gary Burrell