Re: Electric Fuel Pumps

To: rwbmg@voyager.net, dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: Re: Electric Fuel Pumps
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 23:29:50 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-14 23:06:00 EST, rwbmg@voyager.net (Wayne Buletza)
writes:

<< dmeadow@juno.com wrote:

 > The answer is yes, you can put the fuel pumps "in-line."  I know people
 > that use exactly the setup you describe.  If the SU fails, they just
 > switch the wires to the other pump.  If I recall, one individual already
 > has the backup wired with a switch, so when (not if) the SU fails, all he
 > does is switch it off and switch on the backup.  Since I enjoy crawling
 > under the car by the roadside with semis flashing by, I use the old
 > method of carrying an extra pump ;-)
 >
 > David Littlefield
 > Houston, TX

 David:  A true enthusiast!

 Wayne B in Charlotte MI

Hey, guys....I haven't been following this thread very closely but I think I
know where you are going with it....Here is what I did on my TA which has two
fuel take offs on the gas tank...  I have the original SU electric fuel pump
up on the fire wall as per the original set up.....the two pipes from the
tank in back come up to a valve near by that lets you switch from a low pick
up to a high pick up one....see we have no fuel gauge on these cars.   The
valve always leaks anyway so I just fixed it so it doesn't work and both
pipes feed the SU pump....then I put one of those little $25 square pumps
under the gas tank and plumbed it into the low pickup.   Wired it to my tail
lights so I didn't have to run more wires.  When the tail lights are on, the
little square pump just pumps through the SU and supplies the gas, when the
tail lights are off, the SU does the job....both pumps like this arrangement.
 If the SU should fail for some reason, I just flip on the running lights and
presto, the back up pump goes into action....neat and the SU got the message
because ever since I put the back up pump in, the SU hasn't missed a beat!!

If you have a newer car (but why would you when you could be cart sprung?)
with only one fuel pipe going forward, you can still wire it to your tail
lights and do the same thing with having to climb under the car in the dead
of night or winter to switch wires.  The pressure from the backup just pushes
the points of the SU open when it is running so no harm is done.

Cheers,
Terry