Re: FAQs

To: mikeoh@bellatlantic.net
Subject: Re: FAQs
From: dfdarby@juno.com (David F. Darby)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 23:57:07 PST
On Sun, 16 Mar 1997 23:12:11 -0500 "Michael P. Ohleger"
<mikeoh@bellatlantic.net> writes:

> Does anyone know the "secret code" to registration numbers?  My '67
>MGB Roadster starts with GHN3L... .  I was told that an MGB marked for
US
>export started with GHN3U... !
>
>Any ideas? Answers?
>
>Michael Ohleger
>'67 MGB
>'70 MGB
Hello Michael:

According to Anders Clausager (ORIGINAL MGB), your code breaks down
thusly:
G = MG
H = 1400cc to 2000cc
N = two-seat tourer
3 = Mark I models ('62-'67)
L = left-hand drive

After 1967, the U was introduced to designate U.S. models (increased
emissions controls) and L was reserved for other left-hand drive models
(Continental Europe, S. Africa, e.g.).

If you were to get your hands on a copy of the book, I think you would
enjoy it.

Regards,

David F. Darby
Ozarks Highlands, Missouri