Re: Electric Fuelpumps

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electric Fuelpumps
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 20:35:51 -0700 (MST)
>>I have a warning for you guys who carry a spare fuel pump, "Just in case."
>>The points on fuel pumps that are not used tend to rust.  Iron oxide is a
>>good insulator and the pumps will not work.  I have had new pumps on the
>>shelf for about a year, and found I had to clean the points before the pump
>>will work.  Perhaps if the pump is stored in an air tight bag with some
>>desicant (sp.) in it, the problem will be eliminated.
>>
>>I have dual fuel pumps on my TD.  I have two switches and change pumps on
>>the first of each month.
>>
>>Check that spare pump.  See if it works.
>>
>>Press on regardless,
>>
>>Blair

This is a good point about the points on an idle fuel pump. I bought a new
pump for the TD and for the first couple of days it would stop every few
blocks. The old tapping trick would get it going again. Evidently the corrosion
wore off, as the pump has been OK ever since. Relays and switches are usually
designed so the points contact with a wiping motion to keep them clean. Of
course it can't clean itself if its not being used.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD under DIY restoration
71 MGB still in shop, 17 months and counting