Electric Fuelpumps

To: mg list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Electric Fuelpumps
From: Robert William Daugherty <n9682696@janice.cc.wwu.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 23:30:43 -0800 (PST)
        I guess I will try and come forward again since this is a thread
that currently relates to me.  I am a lurker and a newbie.  I tried
writing to the list a couple of weeks ago but I have no clue if it made
it.  I am skeptical that this message will make it.
        Last week I accelerated hard around a corner.  After getting off
the accelerator my baby started running poorly.  I pulled into a parking
lot.  I idled only slitly rough.  When I tried to accelerate, it would
lose power and almost stall.  I was able to make it to a safe parking
lot, that is one that I have a permit to park in.  After turning off the
car and checking everything I could think of, the beast decided to play
finicky and not start at all.  I double checked to see if I was getting
fuel and sure enough I wasn't.  So I stuck my head in the trunk and
couldn't hear my fuel pump like I usually can.  Got under the car and
gave it a few wacks, still didn't work.  It is raining and about 40
degrees F, so I get back under and bet the f^(k out of the fuel pump,
still nothing.
        Tomorrow I will check to see if I am getting electricity to it,
but I don't think this is problem.  I checked all the fuses and
everything else on the car is getting power.  I think it will need
replacing.  My father, the VW mechanic, suggested the Facet, square fuel
pump.  So today I call most of the big parts stores, i.e., Schucks, NAPA,
Al's.  They all try to sell me an SU fuel pump at anywhere from $80 to
$210.  They say they don't know of Facet and any universal fuel pump will
require modifications.
        Are there modifications?  If so, what?  Where do I get a Facet
fuel pump?, and soon, I need to make it to the other side of the state
this coming up weekend.  Are there any other reliable, but cheap fuel
pumps?, after all I am a college student (no money).
        Thanks for any help you can offer me.  That is if this letter
even makes it to the list.  I am part of the new generation and I still
really don't understand these contraptions called computers, thats not to
say I don't appreciate them.

Robert Daugherty
Bellingham, Wa.
1978 MGB (Same age as me)