Re: [cdfowler@atl.mindspring.com: OK, how do I do THIS???!!]

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [cdfowler@atl.mindspring.com: OK, how do I do THIS???!!]
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 00:02:39 -0800 (PST)
>      From: charles fowler <cdfowler@atl.mindspring.com>
>
> Hi MG nuts,
>
> I have the MOTHER of all MG problems in trying to reinstall my front

Honest, there are worse things waiting to be discovered...

> inside the A-arms, then jack the spring pan up and bolt the pan in place.
> However, there are several problems with this method:
> 1) the whole car is jacked up off the jackstands before the spring is
> compressed sufficiently to bolt the spring pan in

Either chain the base of the jack to the frame, or re-install the
engine, or get a few fat friends to sit on the front end (legs inside
the engine compartment, just in case the unthinkable happens)

> 2) it is possible to get the two front springpan bolts in but not the back
>ones

I used tapered alignment tools.  Dirt cheap from J.C.Whitney.  ]:-)

> 3) it is very hazardous, ie. the spring could pop out at any moment and I
> would like to live to see my children

When you see it start to move, RUN!!  If it gets you, at least you tried.

> absorber arms.  The problem with THIS is, I can't get the $%&^ upper
> trunnion pin OUT of the trunnion.  The manual says "gently tap the pin out".

Actually, there is a misprint in the manual; see below...

> Right.  I have spent the last hour wailing away on it with a 5 lb.

I used the "blue wrench" on mine.  It wouldn't budge until it was
glowing orange, THEN we just gently tapped the pin out.

> sledgehammer and it has moved MAYBE 1/16".  One of these methods has to work
                                                                   ^^^
This is Lucas country; whining won't budge the thing   ]:-)

> for me or the car will be sent to the crusher as scrap.  I have had it!

Never, ever threaten a British Leyland product.  John Cleese tried that
with his mini in "Faulty Towers", and he got his.

> Any advice before I call the tow truck ???

Coil spring compressors.  I've never used one on either the "A", or the
"B", but I've used them on other cars and trucks, and they give you the
confidence to crawl into the fenderwell to hook things up without being
terrified of what will happen if you make one little mistake in there..

Forgive my twisted attempts at humour, but when I read your post, I
was laughing so hard, I almost peed myself.  Been there, done that!!

Classic British shop manual instructions:  "When installing the xxx,
OFFER UP the yyy, and engage it fully before tightening".  What they
don't tell you is that it will take two men and a boy with a 20 lb
sledge and a ten foot bar to do the job.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen