Re: Door fit.

To: cdelling@ic.net
Subject: Re: Door fit.
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 19:22:32 EST
On Tue, 18 Mar 1997 08:55:35 -0500 "Christopher M. Delling"
<cdelling@ic.net> writes:
>I have a problem that I am sure someone has a solution for.  My
>drivers
>side door is suffering from an alignment problem.  When looking at the
>door, all door gaps are even, front to rear, and top to bottom.  When
>sighting down the length of the car (from the rear), the lower contour
>of the door does not match the body contour.  The lower portion of the
>rear edge of the door protrudes from the body about a 1/4".  Someone
>suggested that this was due to misalignment of the dog leg section
>behind the door that was replaced when the sill was done.  Both body
>and
>door shapes seem correct. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?  A
>really poor effort to illustrate the problem is below.  BTW, any
>solution must be accomplished without damaging my paint!

>                       Door    ||      Body
>                       Side    |\      Side
>                               | \
>                               |  \
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris Delling

Having spent many hours trying to solve the same basic problem on my 69 i
thought it was impossible - however, one "little used" adjustment is the
inner hinge phlanges where they are joined to the door itself they are
difficult to get at and you do have to disassemble a little , loosen them
slightly and try refitting the door, there is not a lot of movement, but
on mine i managed to find sufficient to solve the misalignment - and -
you never get near the paint!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster

ps - throw the shims you bought away afterwards!