Re: Rust cures

To: bharkins@tfb.com
Subject: Re: Rust cures
From: "MIKE LAMBDIN, CANS" <E720LAM@TOE.TOWSON.EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:55:42 -0500 (EST)
>blasted. I have used chemical paint stripper for the paint, navel jelly
>for the rust and ground the hard to get areas of rust. Where the nails
>fasten the metal to the wood, there is still a bit of rust around the
>nails.

There is a substance you can brush on the rusted area that supposedly
stops rust from progressing. Rust-be-gone, End Rust (a copy right
infringement against Johnson&Johnson?) and Rust-away (truth in
advertising whether it works or not) are just a few. I always questioned
the effectiveness of these treatments so I applied some to the rusting
downspout of my garage, 3 years ago, and the corrosion hasn't spread.
Draw your own conclusions.

As for the "rust around the nails", I wouldn't be satisfied until the
nails were removed and I could see the condition of the metal on the
other side

>My question is, how to arrest the action of the rust so that it will not

I view rust as a cancer, if you don't cut it out it will come back to
haunt you.

>Second question is how much rust is "too much"? If there are holes in

Any rust is too much.

>question of whether the slight residual rust will affect the paint and
>at what point in time.

Painting over rust is like taping a shattered windshield, eventually it
caves in on you.

Good luck!