Re: Rust cures

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rust cures
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 15:38:16 -0700 (MST)
I've been sanding off the surface rust on the TD and using Rust-oleum
automotive primer. Of course sanding does not remove 100% of the
rust. I tried navel jelly and had absolutely no luck with it. Now the
TD is going to be a garage queen (in a nice dry garage) and only come
out on nice days. I am assuming that rust won't spread without moisture.
Is this a good assumption? Could dryness be the ultimate rust cure?

>There is a substance you can brush on the rusted area that supposedly
>stops rust from progressing. Rust-be-gone, End Rust (a copy right
>infringement against Johnson&Johnson?) and Rust-away (truth in
>advertising whether it works or not) are just a few. I always questioned
>the effectiveness of these treatments so I applied some to the rusting
>downspout of my garage, 3 years ago, and the corrosion hasn't spread.
>Draw your own conclusions.
>
>As for the "rust around the nails", I wouldn't be satisfied until the
>nails were removed and I could see the condition of the metal on the
>other side
>
>>My question is, how to arrest the action of the rust so that it will not
>
>I view rust as a cancer, if you don't cut it out it will come back to
>haunt you.
>
>>Second question is how much rust is "too much"? If there are holes in
>
>Any rust is too much.
>
>>question of whether the slight residual rust will affect the paint and
>>at what point in time.
>
>Painting over rust is like taping a shattered windshield, eventually it
>caves in on you.
>

>Good luck!

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD under DIY restoration
71 MGB still in shop, 17 months and counting