Re: Rust cures

To: Bill Harkins <bharkins@tfb.com>
Subject: Re: Rust cures
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 11:12:59 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Bill Harkins wrote:

> the panels such as body tub and doors which cannot be easily bead
> blasted. I have used chemical paint stripper for the paint, navel jelly
> for the rust and ground the hard to get areas of rust. Where the nails
> fasten the metal to the wood, there is still a bit of rust around the
> nails.
>
> My question is, how to arrest the action of the rust so that it will not
> affect the primer and paint finish? Most of these areas are in an area
> not seen, ie, covered by upholstery panels, but I don't want a problem a
> few months after the project is completed. If there is a problem in 20
> years, that's OK.

Any rust that is on a surface that will receive finish paint and be seen
should be thoroughly removed.  Why can't you sandblast it?  TC metal is
thick, and with moderate pressure and great car, there should be no
distortion.

I have zero faith in any rust "converter."  In areas that are under the
upholstery, such as around the body nails, I would clean with a knotted
wire brush, maybe even sandblast lightly.  If I could not get it all, I
would give it a coat of POR15, which I've been pretty impressed with,
followed by paint as per POR15 instructions.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910