Is it cool

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Is it cool
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 16:18:41 -0800
"If the thermostat is taken out and a blanking sleeve is not used, then
the cylinders farthest away from the thermostat end of the engine will
run hotter, and those nearer the thermostat will tend to run cooler
because some of the water is taking a short cut directly from the water
pump to the thermostat housing area of the head and then out throught
the top hose."    David Vizard "Tuning BL's A-Series Engine

"A thermostat should be used on all road engines."  "In a few
competition situations the thermostat can be discarded, in which case it
must be replaced with the special blanking sleeve"  "Running without a
thermostat and without the sleeve can actually result in a reduced water
flow rate, so beware!"  Peter Burgess  "How to Power Tune MGB 4-Cylinder
Engines"

"The point of the so-called "blanking sleeve" is not to block the flow
of water but, instead, divert it to create better distribution of
coolant around the whole engine."  Daniel Stapleton  "How to Power Tune
Midget & Sprite"

        I will make my stand with the "You need a thermostat" camp.

Kelvin.