Re: SMOG BASTARDS

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SMOG BASTARDS
From: pbailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 08:49:50 -0800
This is the type of stupidity that the beaurocrats have dumped on us It
doesn't matter what comes out the tail pipe but do you have all the
stuff.My wife just bought a VW Ra#!it and I went down to the smog
station with the DPO,the tester looked at it and said"It won't pass
because it didn't have the correct gas cap"The DPO sez go ahead and get
on (for $25!!) So they went ahead and tested it it passed just fine so
we are waiting for the parts guy to show up with the cap he finally
shows up with the wrong cap!He went back to get the right one,We went
for a cup of coffee.Parts guy comes back and sez we don't have one.By
now we've spent almost 2 hours to get this car smogged which passed
great and we can't get a cert because some one stole the #%$$%$ gascap!!
Luckily the smog guy had some brains and said" I'm not supposed to do
this but I'll trust you to get the right cap and give you the
certificate"Whew!!When I had my MGB smogged last year the guy thought I
didn't have the CAT because I have the front resonator off and a piece
of new pipe welded there so I had to show him where the cat was!This is
really stupid that a car that isn't putting out pollution can fail
because some part is missing what should matter is WHAT COMES OUT THE
TAILPIPE!!!I have a dream where everyone would simply not register their
cars tell the government to stuff it!Drive around without tags and what
could they do?arrest everyone? I think not, it will take some sort of
civil disobedience to put a stop to this insanity!! They have even more
plans for us they are looking at a 2 cent a mile tax on driving your car
you would have to take it in every year and have the odometer checked
and the get a tax bill for 2 cents a mile!! President Clinton is looking
into making the Interstates toll roads!! Didn't we a;ready pay for these
?Weren't they part of our defense spending on the 60s?I honestly believe
there is an effort by some in gvmt to get us out of our cars If they
passed a law tommorow outlawing the use of your car the would be riots
BUT if it done in small steps making you feel guilty about being a nasty
polluter and raper of our enviornment and making it more and more
expensive to own a car you WILL be riding our glorious rapid transit
and  our hobby will be just a fond memory You will be waiting at your
bus stop one day in the future and you will see some rich gut who can
afford it driving by in a classic MGB and a tear will form in your eye
and a longing in your heart but you know you can never do that again
because the people didn't put a stop tp it when they could.
Pat