Re: SMOG BASTARDS

To: pbailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Subject: Re: SMOG BASTARDS
From: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 00:44:29 -0500
pbailey wrote:

> This is the type of stupidity that the beaurocrats have dumped on us
<SNIP>
>I have a dream where everyone would simply not register their
> cars tell the government to stuff it!Drive around without tags and what
> could they do?arrest everyone? I think not, it will take some sort of
> civil disobedience to put a stop to this insanity!! They have even more
> plans for us they are looking at a 2 cent a mile tax on driving your car
> you would have to take it in every year and have the odometer checked
> and the get a tax bill for 2 cents a mile!! President Clinton is looking
> into making the Interstates toll roads!! Didn't we a;ready pay for these
> ?Weren't they part of our defense spending on the 60s?I honestly believe
> there is an effort by some in gvmt to get us out of our cars If they
> passed a law tommorow outlawing the use of your car the would be riots
> BUT if it done in small steps making you feel guilty about being a nasty
> polluter and raper of our enviornment and making it more and more
> expensive to own a car you WILL be riding our glorious rapid transit
> and  our hobby will be just a fond memory You will be waiting at your
> bus stop one day in the future and you will see some rich gut who can
> afford it driving by in a classic MGB and a tear will form in your eye
> and a longing in your heart but you know you can never do that again
> because the people didn't put a stop tp it when they could.
> Pat

Well, Pat, you make a good point.

Actually, this is happening now, to smokers.  (I can hear the ire of you
non-smokers rising even now ...) Following your advice, I might just decide
to light up in the next grocery I'm in and see what happens. ;)  But, more
seriously, if it can happen to us smokers, it can happen to us drivers, too.
I've even mentioned on a few occasions to some of the smokefree nazis out
there that my cigarettes cause less air pollution than your average 64 Chevy
or 96 Hyudai.  Or your average coal-fired power plant. Do they listen? Of
course not.  These are the people who believe that Mt. Rushmore is a natural
rock formation, or that France is somewhere in Canada.  Rational argument
doesn't do much with them, nor does asserting your rights.  Their rights (or
what they perceive them to be) and their emotional pendulum swing of the
moment are all that matter to them.  As that wise philosopher, P.T. Barnum,
once said, "Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public."
Today, they're working on my right to smoke. Tomorrow, they'll work on our
rights to drive our cars. Don't be too quick to jump on the 'ban it' bandwagon.
Your pet hobby may be next. "That government governs best which governs
least" and "the infringement of anyone's rights anywhere is a threat to
everyone's rights everywhere" are sentiments lost on these buffoons. One
might hope that the pendulum will swing towards a little more libertarianism
in the future, but I don't look for it anytime soon.  In the meantime, keep
those cards and letters coming. And drive your car anyway.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'