Re: SMOG BASTARDS

To: joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com
Subject: Re: SMOG BASTARDS
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 14:55:46 -0800
At 01:14 PM 3/23/97 PST, you wrote:
>When I brought my Acura into the state, I would have had to pay a $300
>"environmental impact fee".  I was told by the dealer that the difference
>between my federal car and a California car was a $25 chip.  I asked if I
could
>buy the chip.  He said it wouldn't make a difference, and that even though
my
>car would pass the smog test as is, I'd still have to pay the $300.
Needless to
>say, I sold the car.
>
>Don't be fooled.  This is all about making money.
>
>And as I wrote in my letter to Senator John Burton, "I believe the goal of
>improving the state's air quality would be better served by concentrating on
>commercial and industrial polluters instead of individuals."
>
>Joseph
>67 Roadster

When I bought a Camry from Nevada and brought it home (Santa Rosa, Ca) I
had to pay the $300 fee. I asked the DMV how this was going to improve the
smog output of my car when the fee didn't add any equipment to it. They in
essence said it was just a fine for not buying the car  in California in
the first place. They didn't care what was under the hood except for the
sticker that said Federal or California. Mine had a Federal sticker, hence
a one-time $300 fine. The car passes smog checks with almost 0 readings!
It's a cleaner running car than my truck which was purchased here in
California! Go figure. It's really all about lining someone else's pockets
with my money!!!

Craig Wiper
craigw@sonic.net
http://www.sonic.net/~craigw