Re: Fuel leak on MGTD

To: "James T. Dunn" <103606.744@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Re: Fuel leak on MGTD
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 22:16:25 -0500
James T. Dunn wrote:

>    Hello,
>
>       I have a fuel leak around the gasket on the sending unit where it mounts
> on the fuel tank.   When I replace the gasket should I use some type of
> sealer on the gasket?  Any advice on any problem that I might have on
> repairing the leak will be appreciated..
>
>   Thanks
>
>   Jim Dunn
>   52 MGTD
Hi Jim,
        I'm Bud Krueger from Plymouth, Mass. I've been fighting the same leaks
from the sending unit of my '52TD. One big problem - according to the
folks at Loctite/Permatex, there is NO sealer for use in contact with
gasoline. Is your leak at the edge of the circular mounting ring? or is
it at the cover plate to the switch portion?  Sometimes the mounting
surface becomes distorted from being overtightened. The solution is to
file it flat before remounting it. Leaks around the mounting screws can
sometimes be cured by adding neoprene o-rings to each mounting screw.
Add a flat washer between the screwhead and the o-ring to prevent
oozing. Good luck.

Bud Krueger
bkrueger@ici.net