Re: sundry queries for a saturday

To: RJohn50603@aol.com
Subject: Re: sundry queries for a saturday
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 21:32:20 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 22 Mar 1997 RJohn50603@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-03-22 15:55:18 EST, miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
> writes:
>
> << A friend of mine used scotch tape to apply a temporary
>  plate to the inside of his brand-new convertible rear window. As you can
>  imagine, once removed this left two neat sticky lines on it! (silly
>  bugger!) He doesnt want to use anything too stringent for fear of fogging
>  or creasing the plastic. Presonally i think windex will do it but does
>  anyone know of anything guaranteed not to harm it? >>
>
> Mike,
>
> He's probably going to need some mineral spirits, kerosene or lighter fluid
> on a soft cloth. It will only take a few seconds. Then, immediately wash off
> the residue with warm, soapy water and a another soft cloth.
>
> DO NOT use "hotter" solvents like enamel reducer or lacquer thinner.
>
> R. Johnson - Dallas

There's a relatively benign stuff meant for removing adhesive residue,
called (no kidding) Goo-Gone, made by Magic American Corp. in Cleveland.
It is a citrus stuff that works well.  I would try it in a corner of the
window first.  No guarantee it is safe for clear plastic, but it is
designed to remove tape residue.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910