Re: Car Polishes

To: jack@ihcmail.ih.lucent.com
Subject: Re: Car Polishes
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 22:30:11 EST
On Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:49:02 -0600 "Feldman, Jack"
<jack@ihcmail.ih.lucent.com> writes:
>The PO of my C had the paint done at Maaco, and did not have the
>rubbing out done. No one will touch it because they don't know how much
paint
>is on the car, and they are afraid they will rub through to the primer
>(if there is any)

Been there done that. My 72 was my first "attempt" in 17 years and my
first in the U.S.
and I went with MAACO as I wasnt looking for a show-car finish and i
didnt know much better.ne gets what one pays for... The cars paint is
very thin and in places didnt even cover (either primer or topcoat)
There were areas that were horribly oversprayed and rough giving an
almost metallic look to a pure BRG. some areas had "holes" where they
sprayed over fingerprints and the like.
I did return to the scene of the crime more than once but they just
wouldnt respray it and became frankly belligerent .I probably should have
taken it further but i didnt - not sure why on reflection, sissy i
suppose.
 Many,many,many hours of very very very careful restoration and detailing
and and and and.... have made it ....acceptable... but i fully intend to
do it properly the next time around (probably next year.)
Im sure there are exceptions since they are a franchise but the
expression "cut price cock-up artists" comes to mind (any one else see
the Fawlty Towers marathon sunday!!!!!??)

 The only one who said he would do it was a teenager,
>and even he backed off (for reasons unknown).

I am the father of a teenager - this is normal behaviour, (in fact the
abnormal part was his/her initial agreement to do it!)

>It was suggested that I use a colored wax. I looked at the labile on
>theTurtle Wax bottle, and it did say it filled in scratches.

It doesnt work, period.

That would take care of the rough surface of the paint, but I would
always have
>to use it.

It doesnt work - double period!

 I probably would start with an abrasive cleaner, if I can find
>one.

>Any comments or suggestions?

Jack

If the car is as poor as mine was it may be hard to make the proverbial
silk purse ,
The hours i spent on mine rubbing out, overspraying,retouching, cutting
and polishing have made her passable for a daily driver/fun car and the
finish does look pretty good to the slightly short sighted and pristine
from a distance!!!
Maaco suck!-

mike robson
69 roadster