need help with MGB Transmission

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: need help with MGB Transmission
From: Thomas_Mitchell@notes.amdahl.com
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 08:24:01 -0400

Hi, I need some help and was wondering if I could poll the collective
wisdom of this digest?
I have my engine out and I am doing a full rebuild, I hadn't planned on a
full rebuilt,  yet oh well.
 I also have my transmission out, since this seemed easier and I believe it
needs work also.
My transmission is a non-synchro first gear, four speed. My questions are:
1) Can I add a overdrive unit, or it that a completely different
transmission
2) if it's a different transmission, anyone have one and a overdrive they
would be willing to part
     with?
3) Can I mate up another transmission and which one would be the easiest?
      I have heard for example for a midget, that  a datsun b210 trans
mates up well.

Has anyone done a conversion and would be willing to help with details and
with letting me know the pitfalls?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It seems that everything I try to attend is a hour or two by highway and a
fifth gear should would
make the ride more enjoyable.

Tom Mitchell
1966 MGB-GT