Re: The Shell Game

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: The Shell Game
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 19:10:48 +0000
Ross Overcash wrote:

> At 04:05 PM 3/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >To all
> >
> >I see Moss and Vicky are selling new shells for $4995 plus $499 crating and
> >$300 to $600 shipping. That's a lot of dinnero! We have restored a 72 MGB and
> >are currently restoring a 67. We removed every bit of rust, every small ding,
> >took off all the paint to bare metal, welded, then primed and seam sealed.
> >The suspension removed and the entire naked shell was primed and is now ready
> >for paint. Is there any interest out there to have your shell overhauled and
> >primed? You would have to remove everything but the suspension and wheels. In
> >about 30 days you could have essentially a new shell. Picked up and delivered
> >within 200 miles of New Jersey. MG's only!
> >
> >Rick Williams
> >72 MGB
> >67 MGB
> >908-928-2140
> >

> Rick,
>
> I would agree that keeping the original shell would be the best bet, but I
> understand that the new shells were/are marketed so that cars that are
> beyond body work can be saved.  Of course is it really an original if it
> has a new shell?  Anyway how does your price compare with a new shell?
> Your posting implies that you can do it for less than the cost of a new
> shell, am I reading between the lines correctly?>
>
> Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.
> http://www.tiac.com/users/jroverca

It cannot be original, but a reshell.  The new shells are made using
almost all the original jigs, which is good, but they are made to cover
a number of production years and so come with more holes that the
original, some of which will have to be plugged.  You may also find
yourself having to drill some extra holes.

PaulH.