Re: Missouri Endurance Run/Midget 5 Speed ???

To: KGROWLER@aol.com
Subject: Re: Missouri Endurance Run/Midget 5 Speed ???
From: Tom Shirley <tshirley@VoyagerOnline.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 20:27:34 -0500
KGROWLER@aol.com wrote:

> Wow! Robin Weatherall and the St. Louis MG Club put together a great Rally.
>
> My partner on the rally, Bill Hedrick, and I would like to express our thanks
> to David & Bill Darby, and Barney Gaylord & Mark Joslyn who were kind enough
> to transport us to where we could get transportation back home after
> suffering a broken or possibly bent valve in Bill's Midget. We're heading
> back tomorrow with a pickup and trailer to retrieve "MRBILL 3" and return him
> to Downers Grove for damage assessment.
>
> That leads to a question to the list - Does anyone have specs on Toyo/Datsun
> 5 speed conversions for the Midget? Specifically, what kind of MPH per 1000
> RPM in 5th. Bill is rather keen on checking into such conversions after last
> weekend's result for us possibly having something to do with running at 5000
> RPM to do 70 for 12 hours at a stretch.
>
> Again, it was a great weekend. Nice to meet some of the people behind the
> screen names on the MGs list. Nice to see the cars they're talking about and
> great to cruise some great Midwestern roads.
>
> Kim Tonry
> Downers Grove, IL

Hi Kim,

I have a Datsun 5 speed conversion in my 71. It uses a kit from
Rivergate Restoration Products. It is an excellent conversion
kit. The car tachs about 3500 at 65 mph. I've got 185 60 13s for tires.
Taller tires would lower the rpms. As for the stiff rear mount rumors,
everything feels fine in my Midget. Contact Rivergate at
102335.2063@compuserve.com

Tom Shirley
Sale Creek, TN
71 Midget