Re: It's been 30 years since my last LBC...Help!

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: It's been 30 years since my last LBC...Help!
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 09:40:03 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Mark Endicott wrote:

> exactly as described.  But, at last I think I have found something
> interesting.  The car is a 71 Midget with 24,000 original miles.  The
> car looks perfect except it has a few little things that I don't
> remember on the almost new Sprite that I bought in 63.  This car has
> chrome wire wheels and a lot of chrome on the engine.  It has disk
> brakes and and roll up windows.  The seats are actually, well almost,
> comfortable and ther is no oil under the car.  The floors are not rusty
> and I can't find any bondo.  The only thing that is missing is the
> heater blower.  The car is painted silver/gray, which I don't remember
> as original, but I can't remember what I had for lunch either. It has
> been stored inside a airconditioned warehouse for many years and
> reportedly has been started and run each month and driven at least once
> a year. I know enough to not think of this as transportation, I just
> want a LBC, that will fit in my garage, to shine up and drive to the
> lake every now and then.  The Classic Price guide shows these to be
> worth about $5800 if in very good condition,  this one is and the seller
> wants a little more than stated above.  My head says go for it but my
> alter ego says "is it relally worth that much?"  I have seen lots of
> "fixer uppers" for 1, 2, 3,000, but I really don't have the time to do

I expect lots of people will tell you it isn't worth that much.  But if
it is really nice and hasn't been given a cosmetic "restoration" to hide
a lot of faults, I don't think the price is out of line.  Maybe you could
find something as nice cheaper, if you are willing to keep driving around
being disappointed, but then maybe not.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910