Re: Driving to Texas, need help with differential, kingpins, ...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, Joe Peck <mgnut@peck.org>
Subject: Re: Driving to Texas, need help with differential, kingpins, ...
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 11:36:39 -0800
Joe Peck wrote:
> The rear diff has been making clunking noise for a while now.  Sounds
> like something rattling around in the trunk, especially if I'm driving
> on a bumpy road.  The spider gear needs replacing according to the shop.

It seems to me if a spider grear sizes up, your differential would still
work, it would just be like a posi-traction unit.

> Thanks much, and I'll let you know what mishaps I have on my drive.
> Here's the route I'm planning:
>
>    Skyline Drive (VA) through Shenendoah National Park, then
>    the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

How many weeks do you plan on spending on the Blue Ridge Parkway?;o)
I have a friend in Roanoake that I visit every once and awhile. One
time I took the BRP for fun. It is extremely senic, and a great test of
the diver and cars ability- if you make it so. I was doing four wheel
drifts in my '66 Galaxie (I was younger....), lots of fun, people will
get out of your way when they see that in their rear view mirror!
BUT----the BRP is the slowest way to get anywhere! I drive up to Roanoake
from Palm Bay,FL. If I go direct it takes a easy day, if I take the BRP
it will take two whole days! So plan your time frame accordingly...
-Aron Travis-
"alway in a automotive frenzy"
P.S. If I have time, I always take the BRP, as it is just incredible...