Re: Dunlop SP4n vs SP20 tires

To: barneymg@juno.com
Subject: Re: Dunlop SP4n vs SP20 tires
From: dfdarby@juno.com (David F. Darby)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 17:36:43 PST
On Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:05:41 EST barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
writes:
snip here and there----
>I am very happy with the Dunlop SP4n tires on my MGA.
>I'm not impressed with the tread style on the newer SP20's.
>Has anyone had driving experience on both the SP4n and SP20 tires for
>comparison?
>Has anyone purchased SP4n tires more recently than last June?
>Barney Gaylord
>1958 MGA
Hello Barney:

Those are new SP20s running on the mkII. I mounted them last June or
July. Your dealer must have had some leftover stock last year as I
believe they were discontinued around June '96 or so.

I'm real happy with the appearance and performance for my driving style.
I sort of agree with you though, they are not quite as meaty as the old
SP4s and after trying to stick with you down the Missouri River Valley
on the Enduro the other day, I tend to think you might need something
with a little more substance.

I have no experience with them, but Avon produces a tar (Ozarkspeak for
tyre) in that price range, but with a slightly higher rating. Sorry, I
don't have the model No. but will look for it if you like.

Hope to see you again soon,

David F. Darby
MGA with a Beatitude: "Blessed be the sleek, for they shall merit their
worth."