Re: Breaking In a Rebuilt MGA 1500

To: RatiganJ@aol.com
Subject: Re: Breaking In a Rebuilt MGA 1500
From: Jarl&Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 14:30:03 -0700
RatiganJ@aol.com wrote:

I am afraid that the
> chances of starting right up are about nil.  Therefore, I am wondering about
> the concept of pulling the car at a constant speed to obtain the 2000 rpm.
>  It seems that one would not even need to have the engine running for this
> "break in".  In fact, I do not see that the sparks plugs need to be inserted
> for this exercise.

Isn't that a little like getting towed around Indy for the last 12 laps
in order to be classified as a finisher? In all seriousness, that will
give you all the right stress and wear in all the wrong places. We're
also talking about the heating (and subsequent cooling) of parts due to
actual running. First do all the tuning repair work to get it running
and then worry about the break-in. You won't hurt it by letting it sit,
and you won't compromise the process by running it a bit to get your
tuning right. The extended running at 2000 is not a magic spell where
you have to follow the recipe exactly, but just a guideline. They are
just concerned you'll run it for 30 sec. and then park it for two days
or that you'll idle it extensively or "lug" it up hills or in traffic in
that critical first hour. Make sure it warms up ALL the way, cools off
completely (and then retorque the head) and don't make short runs (less
than a full warm up) the first two weeks.  Jarl