MG registration... denied?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MG registration... denied?
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 21:50:33 -0400 (EDT)
   You're not going to believe what just happened to me.
   My 'Classic' plate application was just denied by the
   State of Pennsylvania.  You wont believe why:

   Yesterday, I got my JC Taylor insurance card in the mail,
   so I figured I'd re-register my B as a 'Classic' -it exempts
   me from smog, etc.  So.  Card, title and photos in hand (PA
   is cracking down on what they allow to be registered as a
   classic and require 4 photos of the car)  I march into the
   local notary/registration office.

   The guy hands me a form, which I proceed to fill out and hand
   back.  He photocopies my title and insurance card and asks for
   the pictures.  I proudly present them (as if photos of my first
   born).  He looks them over for a minute and then shakes his head:

     "Nope.  Sorry, but The State is going to reject this."

   Me: "Huh?  Why?  It's in better shape than new"

     "The PennDOT/DMV manual says right here that the car must be
      presented as it appeared in the showroom."

   Me: "So whats the problem?  The car *is* as original (Ok, I removed
        the side marker lights, but how the hell can this weenie
        possibly know that they should be there."

     " Top is down.  Need to have the 4 pictures of the car with the
       top up."

  Me:  "You've got to be kidding..."

     "The manual clearly says that the car must be presented..."

  Me:  "It's a !@#$% MG!   It's supposed to have the top down
        you twit!   Why do you think people bought these bloody
        cars in the first place.  Do you honestly think the dealer
        would display an MG convertible with the top *up* ?! "

     "Sorry, but this piece of paper says right here..."

  I called another notary office and got the same line of, err...
  reasoning.  Needless to say, I quit wasting my breath and took 4
  more pictures.  Sigh.  Tis' a sad day indeed when PA thinks the
  natural presentation of an MG is with the top up.

  Hmm.  I wonder if they require Miatas to have the top *down*  =;-)

  --Scott

   Scott Hower  --> "Topless in PA"
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.
   7201 Hamilton Blvd Trexlertown, PA