Fuel Tanks

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fuel Tanks
From: bugide@juno.com (Larry Dickstein)
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 16:07:52 EDT
I have read the discussion re: fuel tanks, and rust therein, w/ interest.
 Someone pointed out that the best thing to prevent rust is gasoline and
that person was 100% right.  There are a variety of ways to fix damage
done but my position is that new is better and that new is easier to keep
new.  I spent considerable time in the helicopter industry and the only
item that was never up for discussion was a full fuel tank.  A full tank
will not allow moisture to condense on the sides and sink to the bottom
and sit.  The normal sun up-sun down cycle changes temperatures enough to
change the air (and resulting moisture level)  in the tank.  Let a half
full tank sit for a couple of weeks, and you could easily have several
teaspoons of water at the bottom of the tank.  (Same reason you  draw
down your compressor)  The aviation industry also has what is called a
"low point fuel drain."  It is simply a drain to allow built up moisture
out.  While a lot of moisture in a fuel system in a car can be downright
agonizing, it is more serious in aviation.  Sorry about the length, but I
feel that it is pretty important.

Larry Dickstein
bugide@juno.com