Re: Colortune -Reply

To: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Subject: Re: Colortune -Reply
From: David Councill <dcouncil@inetco.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:25:43 -0600
At 04:31 PM 4/15/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Having read three replies in a row agreeing with this sentiment, I'm left
with two questions:  "Where did you see this
>device advertised?" and "What exactly is it?"

I originally saw it for sale at Moss and the Roadster Factory. I bought it
from TRF but it arrived with no instructions. I finally got a copy from
another person on this list last year (another testimony to the value of
this group).

But before I had the instructions, I learned how to use it by tinkering
with it - playing with the colors and using different cylinders. Readings
were usually the same or close to it on all four cylinders.

It is handy and of some help. It takes the error out of adjusting the fuel
mixture and is a bit quicker. However, I have spent many years tuning SU
carbs and I am seldom off from my basic default settings - 12 turns summer
and 15 turns winter - despite the extent of my tuning.

I wasn't overly impressed with it because I probably expected more from it.
Or maybe its because tuning the carbs is an old habit or ritual or an old
art - lifting the pistons, listening to rpms and vacuum, turning the nut.
But its still an interesting device.

I would be inclined to recommend it to people unfamiliar with SU carb
tuning as it will simplify the process though.

David
71 BGT