RE: everybody's talking- another tangent

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: everybody's talking- another tangent
From: Joe Peck <jpeck@ixc-comm.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 17:42:37 -0500
Since we're going off on tangents I will too :-)

I think it's great to see younger folks with a serious interest in
something other than what the rest of the crowd their age is doing,
especially if it's an interest I share, like MGs.  Most folks just
don't develop their interests that early, because they haven't learned
to expand their boundaries.  Probably the same explanation for the
relatively small number of women with an interest in tearing down and
rebuilding engines.  And you can take this further and say that all of
us with MGs are a bit "unique" from the rest of the Honda driving
crowd.

So I say more power to you for showing some initiative, especially if
you're relatively young or female (way to go, Stef!!).  There's
nothing less interesting than someone with no interests, so you've got
a head start on the rest.

As a side note to Kai, I've been wanting to let you know that I've
found your postings about the Internet interesting but usually
off-target (especially the one sounding an alarm about the FCC
permitting phone companies to charge Internet access fees, and the
other about 56k modems).  You see, I've been working in the computer
networking and Internet industry since before you were born.  Hell,
the "modem tax" scare has been making the rounds since the late '70s.
 I've kept silent for a couple of reasons - at least you've taken an
interest in the net, you're not the only one spreading misinformation,
and I've just been plain too busy to respond.  I can also attribute it
to your youth.  So when you tell someone else to check the facts I
find it ironic.  It was disheartening to see the modem tax thing show
up on the MG list though - *way* off-topic, and the FCC chairman had
issued a statement just the week prior which clarified that this was
*not* going to happen any time soon.  I almost forwarded it to you.
 If you ever want to get info on what's really going on in the
Internet industry drop me a note.

Obligatory MG stuff - My supplier tells me there are two different
version of the rear main seal for a late B engine, a black one and an
orange-ish one.  The black one leaks.  Information like this is why I
prefer a local parts store rather than mail order.   Since my recent
move I'm still trying to find a local parts store in Austin, TX.

BTW - I ended up putting in a Crane/Allison ignition system and
converting to a manual choke (80B with a  ZS carb).  New battery too.
 Car tuned up and now runs great but has developed a rear main seal
leak since the 600 mile tow from Arkansas to Texas.  Has anyone pulled
an engine, replaced the seals and put it back together in a day?  I'm
going to try to get this all done myself on Saturday.

Cheers,
Joe Peck
mgnut@peck.org
jpeck@ixc-comm.net