Northwest Car Stuff

To: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Northwest Car Stuff
From: "Steve Dillen"<Steve_Dillen@ismbc.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 15:47:23 -0700
The road from Corvallis over to Waldport is Highway 34 and is a great road
to drive -- especially during the summer.  To get there, take exit 227 off
I-5.  Go west, through Corvallis and just after a town of Philomath, turn
left to follow highway 34.  If you go straight you'll be on highway 20 to
Newport.  Mary's Peak is the mountain/road Larry speaks of, and from the
top of the mountain you'll have a great view of the Willamette Valley
(Eugene, Corvallis, Albany, Salem and Portland lights at night).  Continue
over to the coast to Waldport, and head up to Lincoln City, then take hwy
18 back over to Portland.  Great views going up the coast, and as a side
trip in McMinnville, the Spruce Goose is visible at Evergreen Aviation.
Trip time from Portland -- about 80 freeway miles to Corvallis.  65 fun
miles over to the coast, with an extra half hour each way on Mary's Peak.
About three or four hours back to Portland up the coast and over hwy 18.

As a side note, the last time I went up Mary's Peak road was about 10 years
ago in my '68 Spitfire.  Had an unfortunate run-in with a deer that night.
The deer got up and ran away, but the bonnet of my 'spit was not in the
best shape. . .

>I am planning a trip to the Seattle/Portland area during the week of
August >10-16, using my 71 GT as transportation.  Can anyone tell me if
there are >any events I should know about, or nice drives to take when I'm
up in the