Re: odd midget parts...

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: odd midget parts...
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@utk.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 07:52:20 -0400
Wow...this is the first time I have subscribed to a list and not the
digest...get back to work and have 50 messages.  Almost thought I was
popular!  heh heh...

> > {I} keep finding parts that I hadn't noticed on either of
> > my previous two midgets (another 75 and a 78).  I figured one of them
> > to be some type of control box for the speedometer cable
>
>   That is probably the unit that counts the life of the EGR
> service. All it does is count miles, and when it gets to
> a certain amount (something high, like 50,000) it lights
> the light on the centre console indicating that you need
> to visit the shop. They were to reset the unit with a special
> key after checking the emissions devices.

Interesting...it doesn't really have a mileage indicator on it, but more
of a "Percentage of Life-o-Meter" on it...  anyway, the other two
midgets i had didn't have one...

> but another is this cylinder-looking thing that mounts on
> the driver's side wheel arch inside the fender, near the
> brake housing.  It has some wires going to it, and a metal
> hose containing some sort of fluid, oil or grease...i
> haven't taken it apart yet.  Anybody have any idea what
> this is?

>  ....wiper motor?

I could believe it was the wiper motor if it was near the wipers.  The
only connection it has is that metal pipe that seems to have fluid in
it, that does, indeed, pass through the firewall and vanishes.  Does the
metal pipe contain a drive shaft?  That would explain the wiper motor
thing.  Other than that, I dunno..  I don't want to remove it til I am
sure of what it is...  :)

Yesterday, taking a fender to somebody to perhaps get some welding work
done on it, I got behind a nice looking maroon midget (in Knoxville,
TN).  It's nice to know they do still turn up on the road and in good
shape every now and then. :)

Here's a question:  The passenger side is all rusty, but the drivers
side is in reasonably good shape.  There are a few rust holes on both
the front and rear passenger-side panels.  Should I replace them or
patch, sand, and repaint them?  Somebody was of the opinion that you
can't fix rust, only delay it a year or so.  Anyway, just thought i'd
throw that out...  (BTW, it's a '75 midget)

adrian

--
J. Adrian Barnes

"Anything tastes like chicken