Re: odd midget parts...

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: odd midget parts...
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@utk.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 09:39:16 -0400
> can't fix rust, only delay it a year or so.  Anyway, just thought i'd
> throw that out...  (BTW, it's a '75 midget)
>

> Geez, Adrian, it'd be a shame to throw it out just cause it's got a
> little rust. Patch sand and fill will get you a year or two  before
> you get to do it all again. Unless by patch you mean cut out ALL the
> rust and weld in new metal. Even then there is a tendency for the > metal to
>rust quickly about one inch further up the panel from your
> repair.If you want a long term fix, you probably should consider new
> panels.

no no..i wouldn't throw the car out cause of a little rust, that was
just a figure of speech...thought i'd throw the QUESTION out for people
to see!  heh heh..  I was just wondering if it would be wiser to invest
in new panels rather than just fix (weld) the existing ones.  But if
I replace those two panels, will that really do me any good in the long
run unless I replace ALL the panels on the car (since there is some
surface rust on every panel)?  Or should I write it off as a never
ending process and just fix and repaint every couple of years?

i can't really budget in tearing the car completely down, with
either time OR money, but then again, i can't really budget in a $1000
bodywork/paint job every two years either.  i just want to make sure
I am doing the "rightest" thing i can for the life of the little guy!
Thanks..

adrian

--
J. Adrian Barnes